This black and white photographic reprint of an original photograph shows Ada Francis Richardson (MPS) working in her pharmacy at 63 Berners Street, Leicester, around 1910.
Standing behind the pharmacy counter, Richardson is shown using a pestle and mortar to prepare a medicine. She holds up a glass graduated dispensing measure in her other hand.
Ada Francis Richardson owned her pharmacy, at 63 Berners Street, Leicester from 1906 until 1939, at a time when very few women were running their own businesses.
The majority of women working in pharmacy in the early 1900s seem to have been working in hospitals and institutions as dispensers, or as managers or assistants in retail pharmacy.